Anthony C. Garland, P.E.
1373 Bonanza Alley
Camano Island, WA 98282-8431
Provide software development expertise working independently or with a client's product development team. Utilize my system architecture and technical design skills to ensure the success of a client's software development effort.
Garland Consulting: March 2008 – present. Software Consultant
Fluke Electronics, Inc.: December 2004 – February 2008. Sr. Staff Engineer.
Garland Consulting: June – November 2004. Software Consultant.
Educational Sabbatical: June 2000 – May 2004. Doctor of Theology, Louisiana Baptist Theological Seminary.
Construx Software Builders: October 1999 – May 2000. Senior Consulting Engineer.
Garland Consulting: October 1992 – September 1999. Software Consultant.
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.: June 1991 – February, 1992. Chief Software Engineer.
Garland Consulting: October 1990 – May, 1991. Software Consultant.
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.: June 1982 - September 1990. Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, Staff Software Engineer.
Garland-Parle Mfg. Co., Inc.: 1981 - 1983. Vice President and Director of Engineering (co-founder).
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.: June, 1979 – February, 1982. Associate Design Engineer, Design Engineer.
Languages / Tools:
Requirements analysis, prototyping, continuous integration (CI), object-oriented analysis/design, structured analysis/design, refactoring, complexity/productivity metrics, inspections/walk-throughs, defect tracking, revision control, test-driven development, agile, SCRUM, kanban, technical writing.
Android, Linux, Unix, Solaris, Windows 7/XP/2000/NT/98/95/3.1, MS-DOS, embOS, eCos, VxWorks, MagicCap.
IoT, BT, BLE, ANT, iBeacon, NFC, TAG, NDEF, OTA, DFU, TCP/IP, LWIP, NTP, I2C, SPI, USB, RS-232, GPIB
IPC, RPC, ISRs, DSRs, VXI, device drivers, preemptive multitasking/scheduling (multi-threaded applications), critical sections/synchronization, hierarchical state machines (HSM), protothreads, monitors, semaphores, embedded systems, ICE, logic analyzer, oscilloscope.
Processors and Computers:
ARM, Nordic nRF51, nRF52, STM32F4, Arduino, IMU, CC2510, Intel 80X86, 8048, 8039, 8051, Motorola 68K-family, TI 99XXX-family, Zilog Z80, PC, Sun/HP Workstations, HP-64000/Intel ICE, GPIB instrument controllers, embedded devices.
Public key cryptography, authentication, confidentiality, signatures, AES-128, ECC, ECDH, ECDSA, micro-ecc.
Project Development Experience:
Developer on over two-dozen software projects and 5 hardware projects. Technical lead on numerous projects. Details available in separate Project Development Experience document.
- Blue Willow Systems, bluewillowsystems.com 
- Carbon Design Group, since purchased by Oculus VR, oculus.com
- Carnival Cruise Lines, carnival.com 
- Chrono Therapeutics, chronothera.com
- Cocoanut Manor, cocoanutmanor.com
- Code Blue Consulting, codebluecommunications.com
- Construx Software, construx.com
- Discover Sound Technology, discoverdst.com
- Dynapro Systems, now 3M Touch Systems, 3m.com/3MTouchSystems
- FiftyThree, fiftythree.com
- Fluke Electronics fluke.com
- Fourgen Systems, now Endura Corporation, enduracorp.com
- Frank Russell Corporation, russell.com
- Intermec, intermec.com
- IS Squared, is2inc.com
- Maxon Gilbert, maxongilbert.com
- MarqMetrix, marqmetrix.com 
- Nytec,, nytec.com
- Philips Medical Systems, medical.philips.com
- Sony Corporation, sony.com
- Starbucks, starbucks.com 
- Stratos Product Development Group, stratos.com
- Teague, teague.com
- Traveling Software, now Laplink.com, laplink.com
- T-Mobile, t-mobile.com 
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, University of Washington, June 1979. GPA 3.86 (A = 4.0).
Master of Theological Studies, Louisiana Baptist Theological Seminary, May 2001. GPA 4.0.
Doctor of Theology, Louisiana Baptist Theological Seminary, May 2004. GPA 4.0.
Licensed Professional Engineer, Electrical Engineering (State of Washington), September 1985 - present.
Co-holder of 7 patents:
U.S. #7626375 (EU #111693662.8-1524),
U.S. #7679356 (EU #11169361.0-1524),
U.S #838879 (EU #11174651.7-2216, EU# 11174639.2-2216),
- Member, University of Washington Software Engineering Advisory
- Instructor, "The Process of Software Engineering," University of Washington Extension, Winter 1992, 1993.
Licensed U.S. Merchant Marine Officer, Master, 50 tons, 1991 - 2000.
Extra-Class Amateur Radio License (N7DX), 1974 - present.
Commercial General Radiotelephone License, 1972 - present.
Available on request.
Married, no children, D.O.B. 6/10/57, 6'0", 170 lbs, excellent health.
Teaching, sailing, music.